Class 2 Basic
Class 2 Basic medical clearance
Medical clearances for the following licences are valid for one year however may have additional conditions or restrictions, depending on individual circumstances:
The Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s Class 2 medical clearance grants the holder many of the same privileges as a Class 2 medical clearance, with a few additional operation restrictions.
- Private operations by day must be under the visual flight rules (VFR) and below 10,000 feet
- A maximum of five passengers are allowed in your aircraft during flight
- You may only fly a piston engine aircraft
- Your maximum take-off weight (MTOW) must be less than 8618kg
- You must not use operational ratings (eg. instructor rating, instrument rating)
- Flight activity endorsements (eg. aerobatics, low level) are not permitted.
What licence categories
are covered by Basic Class 2?
Medical clearances for the following licences are valid for four years if the applicant is below age 40, and valid for two years if over age 40. However, they may have additional conditions or restrictions, depending on individual circumstances:
- Private Pilot Licence (PPL)
- Student Pilot Licence (SPL)
- Flight Radio Operator Licence (FROL)
What are the
No special medical requirements exist for a Class 2 Basic medical certificate and should be issued by your regular GP. An applicant is required to meet the AusRoads, un-modified, Commercial Drivers License medical standard. Further details can be found here.